Recipe: Whole Wheat Pasta With Pesto
Summary: Fresh basil provides the perfect flavoring for a number of pasta dishes. When you’re looking for a light tasting, but substantial, meal for dinner, you should consider whipping up pasta with a fresh pesto sauce.
- 3/4 cups basil leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cloves of peeled garlic
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces of whole wheat pasta
- In a food processor, add your fresh basil leaves, the 1/2 cup parmesan, garlic and pine nuts along with the salt and pepper.
- Run the machine at medium speed while drizzling in your olive oil as the ingredients are blending to create a smooth paste. Be sure to run your food processor until the ingredients are entirely blended. If you need more olive oil for your preferred consistency, then adding more oil won’t affect the flavor.
- Boil water and cook your pasta until it is prepared al dente. After your pasta has cooked to the right firmness, drain it in a colander and pour the pasta into a medium size serving bowl.
- Scoop your pesto sauce over the pasta and allow it to soak.
Whole wheat pasta is a good form of low glicemic index carbohydrates, which your body needs for energy and has a lot of fiber and phytonutrients, while basil is beneficial for your cardiovascular health. Garlic is good for your heart.
A fresh green salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers would be a superb side dish along with baked garlic bread. love pesto on pasta, spread on sandwiches, mixed in with salads or as the base for a tart or pizza.
Your family will be thrilled to find this delectable pasta dish on the table for their next dinner.
Preparation time: 6 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4