Recipe: Sicilian Basil and Orange Salad
Summary: This simple salad combines the vibrant flavors of fresh basil, orange and red onion. Its a classic combination whose fresh and easy preparation says “Sicily.” It is a great starter for outdoor picnics or can stand alone as a light summer lunch. A diced avocado or two tablespoons of pine nuts added to this recipe makes for a delicious twist, if you desire. Navel oranges are seedless and easy to section, so they make a great choice for this beautiful summer dish.
- 6 navel oranges
- 1 small red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
- Zest the skin of one orange, using a zester or microplane. If using a zester, chop into fine pieces.
- Peel oranges and divide into sections. Divide each section in half with a knife.
- Remove the skin from the onion, halve and cut into thin slices.
- Break basil into bite-size pieces using your
- Combine oranges, zest, onion and basil in a large bowl and drizzle with the vinegar. Toss to coat, and taste. You may wish to add an additional tablespoon of vinegar, depending on your taste preference.
- Season salad with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Immediately portion into chilled serving bowls and enjoy.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Italian
Published: March 8,2012