Recipe: Mediterranean Pretzels
Summary: Homemade pretzels are a delicious treat that you’ll enjoy on a hot or cold day. When you bake your own Mediterranean style pretzels, you’ll have a dairy and egg free snack that is easy to make and fun to eat.
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons whole cane sugar
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- 4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 4 cups water
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg
- In a large bowl, allow your yeast and sugar to dissolve in the 1 1/3 cups warm water.
- After about 10 minutes, the yeast will bubble and you may add the olive oil, flour and salt. Stir the mixture until it becomes a smooth dough.
- Next, cut your dough into strips and roll them into long ropes. Once you’ve rolled your dough out, you can form each strip into a pretzel shape. You should cover your pretzels with a clean towel and allow them to rise for approximately 45 minutes.
- In a nonaluminum pan, boil a pot of water and add the baking soda. You should carefully place your pretzels into the water and permit them to cook for about one minute. Be sure to turn your pretzels once while they are cooking.
- After you remove your pretzels from the water, set them on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle them with sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Pre-heat your oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit and bake your pretzels for about 12 minutes.
If you prefer traditional pretzels, then omit the Mediterranean spices and add regular or kosher salt or sesame seeds. When you’d like to give a family member or a friend a delicious snack, a plate of wrapped pretzels is the perfect choice.
34 grams of carbohydrates per serving.
Diet tags: Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: German
Published: August 17,2012