Recipe: Whole Wheat Garlic Pizza Bread
Summary: This delicious and healthy homemade whole-wheat garlic pizza bread recipe is perfect for anyone following a Mediterranean diet plan. It is easy to make, using ingredients you already have in your pantry, and can be customized to suit your tastes by adding a variety of fresh vegetables.
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon whole cane sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (You can use less for low sodium)
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small cans tomato paste without salt
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the 1 cup hot water, sweetener, salt and yeast. Make sure the water is warm to the touch, but not scalding. Allow to rest for 5 minutes for the yeast to bloom.
- Add the 2 cups of whole-wheat flour and oil to the yeast mixture and mix well until all ingredients are incorporated, and the dough is springy. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise until double, about 1 to two hours.
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Punch the dough down to deflate it. Press the dough into a greased 15 by 10 by 1 inch pan or a 12-14 inch pizza pan. Pinch the edges to form a rim. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 20 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, mix the tomato paste, water, chopped garlic and dried oregano in a small bowl. If you are using fresh vegetables, add them to the pizza sauce and stir well to coat. This will prevent them from drying out during baking.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the bread dough and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crust is a light gold color and crisp, and the toppings are tender.
For a crispier crust, prebake for 5 minutes before adding toppings. Then bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Good options for toppings include thinly sliced zucchini, mushrooms, eggplant, artichoke hearts, pepperoni, tofu, fresh basil and rosemary, and matchstick carrots.
Top with a very small amount of parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese during the last ten minutes of baking.
For a cheesier crust, add a Tablespoon of nutritional yeast to the dough.
Total Carbohydrate 63.5 g
Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
Preparation time: 2 hour(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Italian