Recipe: Mediterranean Burritos
Summary: These Mediterranean style burritos are simple, fresh, healthy and delicious. They are completely dairy and gluten free and packed with nutritional value.
- 2T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 zucchini
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1c cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 2t ground cumin
- 1T chili powder
- 1/2t salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- gluten free tortillas (brown rice or sprouted grain tortillas work well)
- Remove seeds from peppers and thinly slice all vegetables.
- Rinse and cook rice or quinoa. (Follow these guidelines to cook rice)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Saute peppers and onions until soft, about 4 minutes. Then add zucchini, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, stir and cook for 2 more minutes. Add canned tomatoes (fire roasted tomatoes work nicely) and stir to incorporate. Reduce heat, cover, and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Finally, remove from heat, add black beans to skillet and mix thoroughly.
- Heat individual tortilla shell to soften, add one scoop of the veggie and bean mixture to the bottom portion of the tortilla.
- Then top with one scoop of the cooked brown rice or quinoa and roll up into a burrito.
These burritos are healthy and delicious just as they are, but if you would like to mix things up you can add sliced avocado or a little tempeh bacon before rolling the tortilla.
Carbohydrates: 56g per serving
Fiber: 6g per serving
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 12 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Published: August 10,2012