Recipe: Italian Lasagna – Baked Noodles
Summary: Every Italian cook has several favorite recipes for lasagna and most of them are good. After experimenting a bit with variations on the general theme you will find that, in fact, it is hard to go wrong. You may add mushrooms or truffles, you may replace the tomato paste with white sauce or a can of baby food spinach or thinly sliced young zucchini or summer squash. you may experiment with your favorite herbs – oregano, thyme, rosemary – but be careful not to overdo it. Try adding a whole beaten egg to the cheese mix. And do not be surprised if your recipe for 6 is eaten by 4 persons!
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup Meat Stock, bouillon, or water
- 6 ounces wide noodles
- 1 pound skim milk dry cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 4 ounces Mozzarella cheese (“Pizza cheese”)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Chop 1 large onion and 1 clove garlic, brown in 1 tablespoon oil, add 1 teaspoon salt, 1 can tomato paste, and 1 cup Meat Stock, bouillon, or water, and simmer for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, bring to a boil 3 quarts salted water.
- Cook 6 ounces wide noodles in the rapidly boiling water until tender (12-15 minutes). Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Mix 1 pound dry cottage cheese with 1/2 cup skim milk and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Slice thinly 4 ounces Mozzarella cheese.
- Alternate in an oiled baking dish layers of noodles, Mozzarella slices, cottage cheese mixture, tomato sauce, and a sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese until all ingredients are used, topping with grated cheese.
- Back in a 375-degree oven for 30 minutes.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Italian
Published: April 19,2012