Free Sicilian recipes that lower your cholesterol

There is a lot of misinformation about cholesterol. It’s important to consider that the 75% of the cholesterol is produced by your body. Now let’s examine 10 simple recipes for Mediterranean diet from Sicily to lower the remaining 25%.

It’s important to know the facts that cholesterol can reduce your risk for a heart attack or stroke.

It’s not true the the main part of Cholesterol come from diet. It’s only for 25%. The main part of your cholesterol com from the liver.

The only foods to look with more attentions are those one high in saturated fats or hydrogenated oils….sure don’t present in the Mediterranean diet foods.

This is not a post where i suggest you the “over-repeated” tips like:

  • Eat foods low in cholesterol and saturated fat like:
  1. Red meat
  2. Eggs
  3. Fish
  4. Poultry
  5. Dairy products
  • Maintain a healthy weight
  • Exercise regularly
  • Etc…

I think you already know it…

As a Mediterranean people (exactly I’m Sicilian) I’d like to share with you the Top 10 recipes from the Italian tradition to eat tasty and stay low in cholesterol.

The Sicilian cooking tradition is a mix of different countries:

  • Greeks
  • Arabs
  • Spanish
  • French

The main foods utilized are:

  • Pasta
  • Bread
  • Fish
  • Vegetable like: Fava, Eggplant, artichoke
  • Sheep’s milk
  • Favors like pepper and garlic – Has a great reducing action on Cholesterol levels, especially if used with fish oil.

Here the list of recipes:

Salasa di Pelati (Tomato sause)

Ingredients are these:

  • Tomatoes
  • Basilico
  • Garlic
  • Olive oil
  • Pepper
  • Salt

But you can also add onion and carots.
Here a video that explain it

Pasta alla Norm

Ingredients for 6 people:

  • tomato sauce
  • basil
  • 3 eggplants
  • 700 gr. of spaghetti
  • salty cottage cheese

After having prepared the sauce of tomato aromatized with basil, take three beautiful Sicilian eggplants , let them lose their bitter taste, holding them under salt for approximately an hour in a colander, then fry them in hot oil. Boil 700 gr. of spaghetti, drains them and season them with the tomato sauce. In every portion you add the minced eggplants and over the salty cottage cheese.

Maccu verde (Fava Bean Spread )

Thanks to: SonicWalker

This is a typical food eat during the festivity of saint Josef


  • 3 pounds of fava beans, shelled
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
  • Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
  • Pecorino cheese
  • pepper
  • bread, toasted

Grind the fava beans to a pulp with the garlic cloves in a food processor. Pour enough olive oil. The fava beans should have the consistency of mashed potatoes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the cheese. Spread a small amount on the bread slices.

Mascolini Marinati

Thanks to Frengo


  • ½ pound Anchovies
  • 2 cloves garlics
  • 5-6 Lemons
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Wash the anchovies and cut their heads. List them and cover with lemon juice and salt. Let stay for 3 hours and then change the lemon juice. Put them in the refrigerator for 24 hours. After this period serve them with olive oil, pepper, garlic and lemon.

Tonno all’Agliata (Tuna with garlic)

tuna fish
By Sofidofi


  • 1 pound of Tuna
  • 3 Cloves of Garlic
  • Mint
  • ½ glass of vinegar
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
  • pepper

Fry the tuna with the olive oil for 3 minutes. Put them out and use the remaining oil to fry the garlic and a bit of vinegar to create a juice. Put this juice on the tuna and put salt and pepper and mint.

Melanzane arrosto (Roast eggplants)

Thanks to hypnotic_aubergine


  • 4 Eggplants
  • 2 cloves of Garlic
  • 1 Glass of Olive Oil
  • Oregano
  • Salt
  • Red pepper

Cut the Eggplants and list them. Before putting them on the brace pass a juice formed by a mix of Olive oil, pest garlic, oregano and salt.

Peperoni arrostiti (Roast capsicum)

By Heybubbles


  • 1 pound of capsicum
  • 2 cloves of Garlic
  • Mint
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Put the capsicum on a grill. Let them roast for ½ hours and turn them some times. After this period let them in a plate and cut their internal parts. Mix with oil, salt, pepper, garlic and mint.

Carciofi alla brace (Artichokes to the brace)

For those of you interested in cholesterol level you can have a look at these resources: