Recipe: Chickpea and Fresh Tomato Toss
Summary: This healthy bean salad makes a great summer side dish, snack, or potluck contribution. It can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- 1 can of chickpeas (19 ounces), drained and rinsed
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small red onion, minced
- ¼ cup of chopped parsley
- 2T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1T freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced or put through a press
- 1t ground cumin
- ½t chili powder
- ¼t crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼t salt
- In a large bowl, use a wire whisk to combine the salad dressing.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, and parsley.
- Gently toss until the dressing is evenly distributed throughout the salad.
In addition to being a flavorful diet food, this superfood salad is packed with vitamins and antioxidants that combat a wide variety of health problems:
- Chickpeas‘ high protein content makes them a staple of a vegetarian diet.
- Tomatoes promote healthy skin, build strong bones, and can even help prevent cancer.
- Parsley strengthens the immune system, helps prevent urinary tract infections, and reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Extra-virgin olive oil is a “good fat” that controls high cholesterol, prevents gallstones, and can reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Garlic can help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and is also a natural antibiotic.
- Onions help prevent ulcers, reduce the risk of stroke, and promote a healthy heart.
Carbs: 33 grams
Fiber: 7 grams
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Raw
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Italian
Published: August 24,2012